Variable Speed Drives
AC Drives, also known as variable frequency and inverter drives, provide the ultimate in electric motor speed control and torque management. As an authorized distributor of Baldor~Reliance, AC Tech, and WEG variable speed drives, Electrical Equipment Solutions can help you choose a cost-effective drive based on the degree of sophistication, level of torque, and speed range required by your application.
Variable speed drives allow speed changing of three phase motors over a designated speed range while providing constant or variable torque as the application requires.
Variable speed drives are operated at single input voltages, generally 3 phases. Where only single phase power is available, many smaller HP ratings are available to accept single phase power.
Careful review of the necessary speed and torque requirements is an essential procedure followed by Electrical Equipment Solutions personnel to ensure that any new or replacement variable speed drive is capable of producing the required performance for your specific torque load.
DC Drives remain available and are generally replacement products to avoid changing the DC motor in operation. Many applications today, however, consider converting DC systems to the more user friendly and high performance AC products. Electrical Equipment Solutions can be your source for this upgrade.
Advantages of Variable Speed Drives
AC Variable speed drives allow for a much higher level of system efficiency and prolonged equipment life. The popularity of these drives has created a family of very inexpensive yet high performing choices from simple speed changers in panel mount enclosures to more sophisticated drives suitable for use in tough or washdown environments (NEMA 12, NEMA 4 and NEMA 4X).
For example, if a motor is operating at an ideal speed for a certain production level, that speed can be adjusted to accommodate for higher or lower production levels. This also allows for energy savings by scaling down motor output to the optimal speed setting.
Variable speed drives also allow for gradual acceleration of motor speed (soft-start). This eliminates motor wear and tear from initial starting shock and voltage surges; it also may reduce system drain during larger motor initial startup.
Variable Speed Drive Enclosures
Like electric motors, variable speed drives are available in various enclosures depending on the operating environment.
- IP20 Chassis Mount Enclosure – Sometimes referred to as open enclosure, chassis or din rail mounted variable speed drives are designed for safe work areas or placement within cabinets.
- NEMA 1 Industrial Duty Enclosure – NEMA 1 industrial enclosures are a cost-effective protective solution, shielding the drive from foreign object debris and hazardous objects.
- NEMA 12 Dust Tight Enclosure– Offering protection from dust, oil, and water, NEMA 12 enclosures are commonly used in material handling and manufacturing applications.
- NEMA 4 (NEMA 4X) Washdown Enclosure – Provides advanced protection from water, dirt, and high-pressure liquids. Can be used indoors or outdoors.
- NEMA 1, 7, 8, 9, 10 Hazardous Enclosure – Used in hazardous locations, explosion proof.
For more information on variable speed drives, please contact us or call us at (973) 742-8383. As always, you'll receive a fast response and quality service from the most trusted name in electric motors in the metropolitan area.